Ownership

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Thu Dec 23 00:18:51 UTC 2004

Rick Raetz wrote:

> I have just installed Fedora 3 plus updates and as a first time user
> from Microsoft Windows, I have a little problem on installing by
> download from the Net. I follow instructions and then when I try to
> access a folder, I am unable to change permissions. I keep getting the
> message "you are not the owner and cannot change permissions"
>
> I suppose I need to understand commands more?
>
> Any help?

Hi Rick,

If you are trying to change permissions on a file that you are not the
owner of, the easiest way is to use the root (superuser) account.

In a terminal window you can become root by typing:

   su -

You'll be prompted for the root password, once you enter it you'll get a
root shell. When you're done, type:

   exit

If you need to use the GUI tools as root, just log in at the GNOME login
screen with the root username and password.

Try to use the root account as little as possible - for the most part
you want to use your normal user account. If you make a mistake as a
normal user, it is less likely to cause a major problem with the system.

When something like this comes up that you really need the root access
for, use it and then go back to your normal account.

Rich