[OT] Hard Drive Clicking Noise for Hitachi Mobile Drives

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Thu Dec 23 02:57:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 10:05:15AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> This is FYI and so I hope I don't get flamed for this.(yes, I've seen it
> happen)

No flames from me, this is most interesting.

> Anyway, if you're an owner of a specific list of Hitachi Mobile Drives,
> and you've been experiencing some sort of "clicking" noise, it could
> really be the hard-drive firmware.

HA! I had often wondered about that clicking noise.

> I only found out today when I checked on DELL's website and found the
> firmware update. Seems like IBM also had something like this reported in
> ZDnet.
>
> I just flashed my hard Drive (80GB  Hitachi) and I'll monitor to see if
> it still clicks.

Thanks, I'll look into this after the holidays.

Did you have to use windows to install the firmware update? My D600 is
100% "Microsoft(tm) Free" (as far as I know).

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312