PCMCIA wireless cards....\'just works\'?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 13:31:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:53, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> yeah only the b card is an intersil chipset...
>
> > Anyone have experience using the Proxim ORiNOCO 11b/g Gold 802.11g/b (8470-WD)?
>
> should be atheros, the proxim abg cards are.

One thing to watch out for, the card vendors have a habit of using
different chip sets in their cards while keeping the part number the
same.  You have to look for the version number as well or run lspci on a
card that is inserted to figure out which chip set is being used.

This is true of D-Link DWL-G650 cards.  The one I have (version 1 I
think) is a prism chip set that works with the prism54 drivers.  Version
2 I understand is an atheros chip set.

I think the same issue occurred with some of the Orinoco cards.  Seem to
remember reading a number of posts about people having problems and
finding different chip sets in later cards.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

(null cookie; hope that's ok)