make xconfig

Dear Sirs,

I should have mentioed in my first mail that I am using Fedora Core 3
x86_64. -apologies!

In struggling to build a new kernel I am unable to raise 'make
xconfig'.In view of this (or without view), could any one advise on the
required programs to install to enable this to work.

Can I assume that having used 'make xconfig', I exchange this file for
the kernel in the boot file; they are the same version kernels so assume
this should do it ?

With thanks.

Malcolm Candlish.