Re: OT: (a bit) copying WINDOZE (or any other disks)

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 09:45:36AM -0800, clayj nwlink com wrote:
> A bit off topic; but, I've got a Windoze box with a failing hard drive;
> and an FC3 box (which is working a whole lot better).
>
> What's the recommended process to create an exact duplicate (boot sector
> and all) of a hard drive?  Is it really as simple as:
>     cat /dev/hda > /dev/hdb
>
> ???   Does the new drive need to be partitioned first? Or is there some
> other way to clone drives?

For Windows (please use the proper name or you'll risk people just
ignoring your posts in the future), use Ghost.  For Linux, use Mondo
Rescue.

Both Ghost and Mondo will recreate the partitions and will actually
allow you to restore to different size partitions.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA