I cannot get Samba to give my shares write permission

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Thu Dec 23 22:08:10 UTC 2004

I am using FC3 and samba-3.0.9-1.fc3. I am trying to make an area public
for use by other machines on my home network.

I have the following in my smb.conf file:

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

Otherwise my smb.conf is pretty much unchanged.

I can mount this share on localhost, but I cannot write to it. I have
read through the docs, and the examples from the smb.conf file, and I
thought I was doing everything correctly. The above is in fact one of
the examples in the smb.conf file.

I mount it with the following command:

mount //slim/mustmp src -o
user=tatters,uid=tatters,gid=tatters,fmask=777,dmask=777,rw

That works. I can read the files, and the output of ls -l says I own the
files and have write permission, but I still cannot write to those
files.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Derek Tattersall