Newbie

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Fri Dec 24 03:29:22 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 24.12.2004 schrieb Mark Weaver um 4:06:
>

>>>Now, it won't read my music CD...  And any idea how I can access my XP
>>>partition?
>

>>As for reading your XP partition if your XP partition is formatted NTFS
>>then you've got to have the support for reading that filesystem enabled
>>in the kernel. Mandrake Linux has this support compiled in by default,
>>but so far as I've seen RedHat doesn't. You very well may have to
>>recompile the kernel to allow you to view the contents of your XP partition.
>

>>Mark
>

> No, no kernel recompile is necessary. The list archive is full with
> answers and even the FC3 release notes contain instructions to build the
> NTFS kernel module your own withouth compiling the whole kernel.
>
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html
>
> Alexander

nice! thanks for the info. I'm gonna take a look at this. Haven't done a
kernel in a while and since this doesn't require doing the entire kernel
it'll be a little while longer before I do another.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."