Memory Usage: Firefox / Evolution

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Dec 24 03:45:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 07:30:46PM -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> It's beyond mortal understanding! I just launched Firefox while reading
> your email, with only one simple page loaded (Google) it was taking 87MB
> and Thunderbird (reading this mail) was taking 98MB. Maybe someone
> should have a contest for the worlds worst coders so these guys can get
> the recognition they deserve. Of course, memory is still cheaper than
> programmer time.

You've answered your own question (or, statement, actually). Sure, you could
make something that takes less memory and still has all of the same
features, but apparently it's not worth anyone's effort. And there's no real
reason it needs to be. The programmer time can be spent in lots of various
ways, and high memory use but full-featured and relatively quick seems to
fill what most people want. And for everyone else, there's elinks or dillo.