Unmounting Filesystem problems after removing USB drive

Dan Kovacik kovacik at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 04:59:31 UTC 2004

Dear Sirs-

I have two Maxtor USB drives that I use for backups. I swap the drives
in rotation. Today I did not umount the drive before pulling the power
and yanking the USB cable.

The new USB drive can still be mounted and written to ... but ... df
is showing the drive to have 0 bits available (100% used), and the
best part ... taking down the machine hangs with the last line
reading:

"Unmounting Filesystem      [OK]"

which I'm beginning to think is not OK.

This problems has persisted through at least 2 power cycles, and the
other drive has been locked in a safe until next year. How can I get
df to realize that I have a new USB drive?

Thanks,
Stan