SATA

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sat Dec 25 05:31:50 UTC 2004

David Corrigan wrote:
> I'm about to install Fedora Core 3 on an SATA harddrive, anyone have
> any tips or advice before I start? I've heard about some peoples
> problems and want to do my best to avoid them.
>
> David.

Hi David,

My experience with FC3 and SATA drives is it really depends on the
controller and whether or not the CD drive is IDE or not. I recently had
the unpleasant experience of attempting to install FC3 on an HP Proliant
and no matter how hard we tried and no matter what we tried it wouldn't
go on correctly. We'd get the system to install ok, but it wouldn't
boot. kept on dying in the first stages of the boot with kernel panic
because it couldn't see the partitions where the OS was located.

the problem came down to a catch 22 because of the particular kernel
driver that "had" to be present in order to be able to install and run
FC with the controller that was in the machine. Had we been trying to
install RH Enterprise Linux that would have been a different story.

What we finally ended up doing was installing Mandrake 10.0 on this
machien and its running fine. My advice to you is to research fully your
hardware compatibility before embarking.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."