Adaptec 2810SA SATA RAID with FC3

Randy toucan at tropicalrain.us
Sat Dec 25 15:48:48 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I have installed an adaptec 2410SA back in late October.  It had the
latest BIOS at the time, 7244.  It works perfectly well in the initial FC3
kernel using the aacraid module, but the updated FC3 kernel locks up at
intervals of under two days.  I know it has something to do with the card
driver, because an IDENTICAL setup (same board, even the same case) without
the raid controller works with the newest kernel just fine.
    I also found that I had to put a small 4cm fan in the case about six
inches from the card, or it would lock up if it had been very active for
15-20 minutes.  The additional air flow around the raid card fixed the problem.

    That's all I know about setting one of these up in Fedora Core
3.  Other than that, it just worked.  Do you know if there's any reason to
update beyond the 7244 kernel?  The adaptec site says the new BIOS has
somewhat better performance, but I have to make a TOTAL backup, flash the
card, then wipe & rebuild the array!  The network interface is only
100Mbps, so whether the array can fill 200% or 300% of the interface
bandwidth doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. :-)  And it's a lot
of work to wipe & rebuild the array & re-load everything.  Unless there are
some other stability fixes or something else very useful, I'll probably
wait until FC4 to do this.  Around that time I should be able to upgrade to
a board with gigabit ethernet.

Regards,
Randy