How to scan for wifi hotspots?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Dec 25 18:35:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 17:08, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > try
> >
> > /sbin/iwlist scan
>
> sudo iwlist scan
> lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
> eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported

What wireless card and driver are you using?  I suspect you may be using
ndiswrapper.  This works for my DWL-G650 card using the prism54 driver.

kismet probably will not work for those using ndiswrapper.  I believe
that is one of the draw backs to using that instead of a native driver.

I would suspect that if iwlist scan does not work for you then many of
the other wireless management utilities will have problems as well since
they probably utilize things like iwlist to handle the low level things.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Dead?	No excuse for laying off work.