Problem with esound daemon (esd)

Rob Shinn surak at tuxedo.darktech.org
Sun Dec 26 19:30:46 UTC 2004

Ok, I think I've found the appropriate bug in bugzilla regarding the
problem I was having with Rhythmbox.  As to the other problem with esd,
no one seems to have an answer, so I thought I'd repost the question and
see if anyone knows what's going on.

I've got Fedora Core 3 using kernel 2.6.9-1.667, the default one that
ships with FC3.  I have a SiS 735 chipset motherboard with an Athlon
1800+ XP, and 1 GB of DDR.

FC3 detected my sound card as using the snd-intel8x0 driver, which has
worked fine for me in the past.  The output for the card detection test
was flawless. Output via ALSA and OSS work flawlessly as well.  But any
sounds output through ESD get garbled and 'staticky' sounding.

My ESD version is:

[surak at dagda ~]$ esd --version
Esound version 0.2.35

This didn't happen on Gentoo, my last distro. (I'm a recent
convert/Gentoo refugee...Gentoo was just getting too hairy to maintain
given my schedule)

Anyone got a clue?