Oracle 10g listener issue on FC3

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Mon Dec 27 00:30:52 UTC 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 18:22, Mezei Zoltan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> > Peter, I'm also a newbie.  How could you tell from his post that he
> > changed the loopback?  I am used to seeing the LO entry from
> > "ifconfig."
>
> Yep, lo is there. But it was mentioned that the localhost<->127.0.0.1
> assignment was deleted from /etc/hosts. If you look at it, the /etc/hosts
> file posted here didn't include that line. If you look at yours, you will
> hopefully find that there :-)

You want the short or long answer? ;)

The first 3 lines of the /etc/hosts file should always read:

127.0.0.1               <yourhostnamehere> localhost.localdomain localhost

Of course <yourhostnamehere> needs to be replaced with the hostname of your
box if you called your host anything other than localhost in the install...

That is how the resolution from the hostname to the IP address  is done. The
loopback device lo with its IP address is setup
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
That way the interface will come up even without the /etc/hosts entry there.

The unix95 standard defines that localhost must be resolved - and all
programmers I know just assume that this will work. Its kinda like when you
buy a new car, you kinda assume it has a steering wheel.

You'll see a lot of newbee users change that at some point in time - and that
has all kinds of fun results. So if you hear that something strange network
related fails, its a good idea to check that file first to make sure its
nothing trivial than that...

Anyway, in the end the short answer to your question is that there was nothing
in the log files that pointed to it directly, its was just something from
experience that made me ask to check it... and besides that, either I missed
an email or something but I haven't got the confirmation yet that the
tnslistener actually works now...

Peter.