Tar and Move entire system to new hardware

Looking for some advice.

I have a RHEL WS box I want to move to new hardware.

I would like to tar it all up, move it, extract it, rescue disk, grub install, and run it. Is this do-able? Better method?

What is the tar command to tar all for such a purpose? There is an exclude proc part is I remember right......

I am moving from a dual p800 on 80 Gig ATA to a 36GIG SCSI RAID 1 Single hyperthread CPU ( still SMP )

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thank you,

Mark