restricted 'open app' behaviour with firefox/gnome

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Dec 27 13:25:07 UTC 2004

The following concerns FC3 with Firefox-1.0-2/Mozilla-1.7.3-17.
Say I want to read a pdf file on a website.

Using Mozilla I click on the file and get a small window with 3 choices:
- Open it with the default application (ggv)
- Open it with [.....................]
- Save it to disk
In the box after 'Open it with' I can fill in '/usr/bin/xpdf' and
view the file with xpdf.

Using Firefox I click on the file and get a small window with 2 choices:
- Open with [ ggv (default)    ]
- Save to Disk
I cannot enter anything in the box containing 'ggv' to replace it but
clicking on 'ggv (default)' or on the 'v' next to the box shows the
extra choice 'Other...'
Clicking on 'Other' gives the standard Gnome file selection window
but here I can't descend to directories "below" /home, like /, /etc
or /usr/bin and have nowhere to enter a command.
So except for changing the default behaviour of Firefox/Gnome wrt 'pdf'
files I can't use xpdf directly.

Is this awkward restriction going to be standard in Firefox + Gnome
from now on?

Alexander