Glibc upgrade causing program crashes

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Mon Dec 27 20:56:25 UTC 2004

Kevin wrote:
> Had a problem when updating glibc libraries last week and wondered if
> anyone could help out.

This is highly unlikely a glibc issue.  Especially since it works for
others.

> $ evolution
> evolution: error while loading shared libraries: libecal.so.6: cannot
>
> $ hydrogen
> hydrogen: error while loading shared libraries: libsndfile.so.1:

Well, try to debug it.  First, run ldconfig as root again,  Then, for
instance, run

   LD_DEBUG=files,libs hydrogen

This will well you where the dynamic linker is trying to look.  If this
all fails, look for the files by hand.  I don't know where these files
are supposed to be installed.  I guess /usr/lib (or usr/lib64 on 64-bit
hardware).  So, check they are there and check they are OK.  The latter
you can do by running ldd on the DSOs.