Ghost and FC3

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Tue Dec 28 06:13:24 UTC 2004

You might want to try the following. I was having the same problem
with Norton ghost, but then it went away. I'm not sure what fixed it,
but this is the only thing I think I did that would have done it.
I did a shutdown -r -F now
and when it was runing the Full scan, it failed, and had me log in as
root, and run an fsck manually on the read only file system with no
options. It didn't seem to find any errors, but later when I ran ghost
again, I didn't get any error message.

The only other thing I had done was using G4U (Ghost for Unix) to
make an image, it didn't have any problem with the drive, and is a
free program. It doesn't allow for resizing the partitions, but it worked
fine. I've also used the G4L (Ghost for Linux), and it also works fine.
Both work fine, and are basically using DD to make a copy of the
drive / partition to a file. G4U uses gzip only, G4L can use gzip or
bzip2. They upload the file to an FTP server, and make a single file.
Currently, mine is a 12.5GB file. Size is similar to sum of the Ghost
2GB file, perhaps a little bigger, and it takes a little longer.

The latest version of G4U is a 2 diskette or CD image boot BSD
system with scripts to upload and download images. G4L is a linux
boot CD and is a little rough around the edges. You have to create a
img subdirectory on you ftp server, and allow anonymous write
access to it. But it gets the job down.

On 27 Dec 2004 at 22:56, French, Nicholas A. wrote:

> Anyone haveinformation or a workaround to the"read sector failure" error people get when trying
> touse norton ghost on a drive partitioned with FC3?
>
> Bug #138866 was closed as a duplicate but the problem with ghost (and partition magic i think)
> not liking the partitions was never solved...

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  15,189
Processing time:  29 years, 280 days,  8 hours, 49 minutes
(Total Hours: 260,769)