Kernel 2.6.10

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 28 14:31:42 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 07:30, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 01:49:25PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>  > On Monday 27 December 2004 11:46, Dave Jones wrote:
>>  > >On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 03:27:58PM +0100, Thomas Skybakmoen
wrote:
>>  > > > Will it be part of next Fedora or updated from 2.6.9 in 3?
>>  > > > I want to se this apart of RHEL 4 since it has quite a
>>  > > > bugfix list and some new hardware and bsd runlevels- wich I
>>  > > > hope can be active.
>>  > >
>>  > >There's a merge to 2.6.10 already in CVS.
>>  > >I'll do a build sometime in the next few days for rawhide.
>>  > >FC2/FC3 will stick on 2.6.9 for a while, whilst the rough
>>  > >edges of 2.6.10 have been polished off.
>>  > >
>>  > >  Dave
>>  >
>>  > Pay attention to samba things
>>
>> I wonder if thats the missing part of the security hole fix that
>> we carried in the -ac patch on which our 2.6.9 kernels were based.
>> It'll likely go out with 2.6.10-acX when I get around to building
>> it anyway, so if that is the case, we'll pick that bit back up.
>>
>>  > , and to amanda things in 2.6.10 Dave,
>>
>> That I hadn't heard about. Make sure upstream (linux-kernel)
>> hears about these problems too. Unheard problems go unfixed.
>
>I had filed 142745 (against Amanda) and I just filed 143803 (against
>kernel)  in RH's Bugzilla to track the Amanda issue.

This was with snapshot amanda-2.4.5b1-200411221, built by the same
configuration script I've used for months now.  I'm also on the
amanda list, basicly functioning as the miners canary by building
each new snapshot as they come out. There is nothing in the ChangeLog
about amandad for quite a few versions past.  I've rebooted, just
like I did yesterday morning, and a fresh dump was started about 10
minutes ago.  Still in the estimate phase just yet.  Which is
apparently where amandad is doing the fail...  10 minutes later, it
made it through that ok, so I'd assume the catchup backup is going to
be ok *this* time.

There was a patch of some kind not too long after the 2.6.9 release
that killed amanda and it was backed out IIRC, did that get put back
into 2.6.10-rc3-mm1 maybe?  Although the 2.6.10-rc3-mm1-V033-04 did
run flawlessly for 8 days here once before, but its not now, thats
what I was running when it made a zombie out of amandad last night.
That zombie was apparently reaped at some point in the night, it was
gone this morning before I rebooted.  I wish I could give more clues,
but the amandad logs aren't at all helpfull.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)