CD burning problem

Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 29 02:09:06 UTC 2004

To all those who were following this thread, I finally solved the issue.  For a quick recap, after upgrading
from FC2 to FC3, I was no longer able to burn CD's.  I
could not run cdrecord from the command line without
getting the following error:
[code]
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'ATAPI '
Identifikation : 'DVD-ROM 16X '
Revision : '582F'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Current: 0x0000
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x0008
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found on this target.
[/code]
and relevant entries in my /var/log/messages were:
[code]
[root at eunix etc]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: status timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: ATAPI reset complete
Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Dec 19 14:04:42 localhost kernel: hdb: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
Dec 19 14:10:01 localhost crond(pam_unix)[3421]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Dec 19 14:10:01 localhost crond(pam_unix)[3421]: session closed for user root
[/code]

We investigated my /etc/fstab. hal issues, cdrecord.conf,
/proc/ide, and several other issues, but were unable to
resolve the problem.

I found this thread:
http://www.linuxfactors.com/forum/showthread.php?s=4451c48f076d5e36eb8f70e78e4b8728&p=126126#post126126
and one other similar one and found that my problem was
caused by changes made to cdrecord in FC3 which broke
compatibility with my MSI CD RW drive.  This burner had
worked just fine with RH8, RH9, FC1 and FC2.  As a matter
of fact, since my computer is a dual boot FC2/FC3 box,
I could boot to FC2 and burn, but not burn in FC3.  So it
wasn't a "bad" hardware issue.

I replaced my MSI CD RW with a new Memorex 52x32x52x unit
and it burns like a champ.  From Nautilus, with k3b and
from the command line with cdrecord.

Thanks to all who worked with me and offered suggestions
and advice in fixing this.  I just wanted to post this here
in case someone else is searching these archives with a
similar problem or has been following this thread.

Thanks again,

Jim Dishaw

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org