How to scan for wifi hotspots?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Dec 29 03:28:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 20:27, rab at nauticom.net wrote:
> >> I'm
> >> support
> >> >

> >> I have a Prism II card and it does NOT support scanning. The card is a
> >> D-Link 650 with a Prism II chipset.
> >>
> >> Rick B.
> >
> > Are you using ndiswrapper or the prism54 drivers?
> >

> The driver was automatically installed when I installed RH9 (could not get
> FC2 to work with the pcmcia slot so I re-installed RH9). So I don't think
> ndiswrapper was used. (I imagine I would have to locate a Windows driver
> and manually install ndiswrapper.) Or is prism54 a newer driver?
>
> Rick B.

What does /sbin/lspci show?  The card I have (DWL-G650) shows:

02:00.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism
GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)

This works well with the prism54 driver.  Not sure that the prism54
driver supports your particular chip set or not.

I suspect that the driver you are using does not support the scan
option.  If there is an alternative driver available maybe that will
work for your chip set.  I don't think ndiswrapper which uses windows
drivers will support the scan mode.  I have read that it does not work
with kismet.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.