Links in Thunderbird email open new window in Firefox

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Wed Dec 29 07:35:18 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote, On 12/29/2004 02:04 AM:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>
>> Gustavo Seabra wrote, On 12/29/2004 12:23 AM:

>>> Hi Gene,
>>>
>>> I just had the same problem recently. It is a well known bug in
>>> Firefox, that makes it override your user prefs (although I don't
>>> have the bugzilla number now). To solve it is actually pretty simple:
>>> edit the file /usr/bin/firefox to remove the "new-window" parameter
>>> in line 224, and it should work:
>>> This is how it looks like in my case
>>> ------------
>>> # Old line 224:
>>> # exec $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM_PARAM
>>> "openurl($opt,new-window)" 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
>>> # new one:
>>>  exec $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM_PARAM "openurl($opt)"
>>> 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
>>> ------------
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>

>> Yes it does! Thanks. However, FF/TB seems to have lost the ability
>> (compared to Moz/Mailnews) to middle click on link in email and load
>> link in tab in background on the browser. Or am I missing something
>> here too?
>> -gene
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "load link in tab in background", but
> recheck your prefs on Firefox. In my case I have, in Prefs --> Advanced
> --> Tabbed Browsing:
>    Open links from other applications in:
>       --> A new tab in the most recent window
>
> That works for me, but it brings the new tab up, even if I de-select
> "select new tabs opened from links". Is that what you mean?

Yes, I have the same setting in Tabbed Browsing as you. What I mean is
that when I normal click (left click) on a link in TB I now get a new
tab in FF and FF immediately displays the contents of the new tab. This
is also how Moz/Mailnew worked. However. with Moz/Mailnews when I middle
click on link in Mailnew, I would get a new tab and the website would
load in the tab ("in the background") without changing the main Moz
window contents. To see the selected site I would have to click on the
new tab. Now middle clicking in TB just selects the link (draws a box
around it) and does nothing more. However, middle clicking from within
FF does exactly as I expect and loads the new site in the tab in the
background. Hope this makes sense :)  Perhaps since FF and TB are
separate apps this can't be done?