where does wget put its file [solved]

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Dec 29 16:20:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 21:53 +1100, david wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 21:12, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 December 2004 01:52, david wrote:
> >
> > > thats the trouble i was at root when the download started and i cannt
> > > find any files, by name, by size anywhere from root on down
> > > got me
> > > its downloading from ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/???????
> > > so it should of created a folder called mirror.pacific.net.au
> > > would this be correct?
> > > but its still not there either.
> > > it still downloading madly, i just hope its saving them somewhere
> > > its actually all the files to make and iso from
> > > havent found a repository for 64bit man 10.1
> > > thanks
> >
> > Not to sound like a smartass, but:
> >
> > # pwd
> >
> > should tell you what directory your files are in.  Unless you specifically
> > gave wget a destination folder to put files into, it should download them
> > into your current working directory.  It would not have created a folder
> > called mirror.pacific.net.au or whatever; it would have just put the files
> > into the directory you're currently in.  When I used wget earlier today to
> > get the gpg keys for the kde-redhat repository, the file was placed in my
> > current working directory, no subdirectories created or anything like that.
> >
> > --
> > Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)
> > AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com
> > "You can't depend on your judgment when your imagination is out of focus."
> > -Mark Twain
>

> they are in /root hence any searches couldnt find them
> it has created all the file structures and everything is there
> mirror.pacific.net.au/????/???/?/?????
> ill have to do everything from root now to create the iso
> sorry to have stolen your time
> thanks for your help
> david

Not necessarily.

You can do (as root) mv /root/mirror.pacific.net.au /home/youruser
then chown -r youruser:yourgroup /home/youruser/mirror.pacific.net.au

That will relocate the entire directory tree to your users home
directory and give permissions to the user so nothing else requires root
privileges (except installs of course).

HTH