Logical Volumes Pernissions (Post #2)

Michael J. Pawlowsky mikep at mi-consultants.com
Wed Dec 29 17:24:51 UTC 2004

I keep getting pernission denied while trying to backup a logical volume
in Fedora Core 3.
The problem is that udev is creating the dev as owner root.root with 600
permissions.
I added in /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions the line:

mapper/*:root:disk:0660

There are 2 files in /dev/mapper:

control
vg00-lvroot (my lv for the / partition)

The control file (which I don't really care about the permissions)
changed to owner "root" group "disk" with 0660. So I know my entry in
the permissions file is ok.

But the lv "vg00-lvroot" still has owner "root" group "root" and
permissions of "0600".

So everytime I reboot I need to change the group to disk and permissions
to 0660 to allow amanda to back up the disk.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
MIke