Home Music Server software

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Dec 29 18:05:44 UTC 2004

javier perez wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:11:46 -0700, Robin Laing
> <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>Pepebuho wrote:
>>
>>>Hi.
>>
>>--
>>Robin Laing
>>

> Sorry, I want to play (not serve ) Audio. VideoLan seems to be for
> streaming video  only.
>
> Javier

You can use the player as a standalone player.  I haven't used it that
much.

For just a music player I use xmms.  Xmms playlists don't work that
well when shared.  Each user may like a different program so a
selection of players may be better.  Use yum and install and test
different players.  If you get yumi or gyumi it will make the process
easier.

I am planning a multimedia server with RAID array for storage of DVD's
and CD's.  I don't want to have to re-rip or copy the files if there
is a drive failure.
--
Robin Laing