Metacity Themes

I saw this problem in the list archive but I never saw a solution. For
whatever reason I can not install themes in FC3. I've tried the
drag/drop,  ~/.themes and /usr/share/themes and the new theme never
shows up in gnome-theme-manager.  Most of the time gnome-theme manager
crashes if I have anything at all in .themes.

Am I missing something? This used to be pretty straight forward.
--
Robert Bell