VI highlighting 'echo'

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 02:07:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 11:56:05AM +0100, Maciek R. wrote:

> I have no idea how I activated this ... but while writing some easy
> shell scripts the VI editor highlights the word 'echo' so the background
> is orange. How can I remove this option? I already used man vi and
> the :help command in VI but found nothing.

You are running vim not vi.

     $ which vi
     alias vi='vim'
	     /usr/bin/vim

See the alias in /etc/profile.d/vim.sh

You can escape the alias with a back slash

    \vi your-file

As a 'programmers' editor vim can be clever about context, key words
and other things that some programmers like (heck need and love)..

See ":set all"

in /etc/vimrc this little bit.... is doing it.

     " Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colors
     " Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
     if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
       syntax on
       set hlsearch
     endif

Note that you can unset either of these in your own ~/.vimrc
some may choose to pass config flags in the environment.
No need to do this system wide.

SEE ALSO
       vimtutor(1)

--