Re: new kernel but doesn\\\'t show up in grub at system boot

Thanks to everyone for showing an interest in this.  To answer some of the questins, here is some clarification of what I've got here: (copied from various screens)

/dev/hda
hda1, start 1, End 13, Size=102, Type=ext3
hda2, start 14, End 3737, Size+29212, Type=LVM Physical Volume

/dev/hdb
hdb1, start 1, End 1663, Size=13043, Type=LVM Physical Volume
-----------------
The system only has FC3 - it has no other OS at all - AND it was configured by the original FC3 install CDs - accepted all the defaults.
__________________
Now when I get into the system and search for a boot folder, I only one get under "/", and that contains:
config-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
initrd-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.img
vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
System.map-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
and a grub  folder which is empty

Now when the system boots, the boot screen only shows FC 667, and the boot screen reads:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root= /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quite
initrd/initrd--2.6.9-1.667.img

Which of course is a different kernel to what's in /boot.

The only grub.conf I have is in /etc and that is shown as "22 bytes (link broken)". And if I get to it from the file viewer and try and open it, it tells me "This link can't be used, because its target "/boot/grub/grub.conf" doesn't exist."

The other puzzling thing for me an old doshead is that I cannot find the /vm file that apparently boots - ie I cannot find "vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667" on my system.

All the documentation says that the machine is booting from /boot (or a reference to) - so where is this machine booting from?

Now what I have found since starting to write this note is that I have two folders in /lib/modules, and one is called:
"2.6.9-1.667" which is the version that boots, and the other is:
"2.6.9-1.681_FC3" which is the one in the /boot directory which won't show up as a choice to boot (sorry to repeat myself).

Both these folders contain trees leading to different hardware.  For example the folder /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/arch/i386/boot exists - as do folders for sparc, sparc 64, mips, ia64 and so on. These boot folders all contain different things - but always the MAKE utility (if that's what you call it).

The other aspect of this is that I have allowed up2date to do all the configuring on my machine - I don't even know enough to be dangerous.

Hope someone can shine a light on this - it's increasing looking like broken links to me - but I have no idea where to look or how to fix.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org