new kernel but doesn\\\\\\\'t show up in grub at system boot

zaggzigger no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 31 09:13:57 UTC 2004

I'm not sure I understand all of this - but I hope it will help those people who cannot find their grub.conf file or anything sensible in /boot (like a version that is not the one that boots).
The above were my symptoms and I concluded that the system was booting from somewhere I couldn't see.  Well that's what it was - and I should have noticed that during boot time an error showed up saying something like "couldn't mount file system duplicate" or something.  Another board mentioned that this was because I had two disks and recommended I make the second one bootable - which I did - and hey presto, the boot error went away and I got to see the "real" /boot, grub.conf etc.  Still had to do a lot of work to force the new kernel to install - but that's another story.
Apologies if I've got some of the descriptions of this mangled up - but I'm a newbie.

Thanks to all to tried to help - and to whoever asked if I had more than one disk.  They were right on the money - but I was not savvy enough to realise.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org