Crash on network transfer

Chris Lynch tsw at one.net
Fri Dec 31 20:12:21 UTC 2004

Hello all,

Over the past few weeks I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm quite
stuck.  I'm pretty new to Linux, so my troubleshooting has only gotten me so
far...

Essentially, the problem occurs when I try to ftp something at relatively
high speeds to or from my FC3 box.  Browsing from the box or other items
don't cause this problem, as they don't get the bandwidth that apparently
triggers this problem.  When I start my FTP, things go smoothly for a few
moments (say they're running at 10MB/sec), and then the machine dies (no
response, although the lights on the keyboard are not flashing).

I had been convinced it was a network card problem, so I swapped my old car
out and put in a dlink DGE-530T (gigabit), but got the same results.  I
changed the DMA settings on my drives and, if I disable DMA, the crash does
not occur - it's only transferring at a few MB/sec then (like 2MB/sec).
Enabling DMA, but at a lower speed (say ATA/66) causes my ssh session to
lock up, but I can continue to use the box, and I got some of the crash
output in my dmesg (attached).  I noticed a line that said something about
IRQ and thought possibly my network card doing something funky with memory,
so I enabled IRQ_Moderation on my network card.

Trying the same experiment of transferring a file (but with the mod on now),
I got another crash on the current SSH session, but checking dmesg, I got a
slightly different error.  Perhaps it's the same thing, but I'm not
experienced enough to tell :(  I've attached this log as well.

My interrupts look like this:
           CPU0
  0:     843136          XT-PIC  timer
  1:         10          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  ivtv: iTVC15/16 mpg2 encoder chip
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:       2015          XT-PIC  SysKonnect SK-98xx
 10:      13502          XT-PIC  ide2
 11:      50395          XT-PIC  EMU10K1, nvidia
 12:         92          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      20719          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

I don't think anything looks out of the ordinary in there, so I'm really
stumped.  Turning off DMA isn't much of an option on this box as I run
MythTV on it and need good drive bandwidth.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone has!  Hopefully this is the
right place to send this.

Thanks,

Chris