yum livna nvidia problems.

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sun Feb 1 19:22:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:51:51 -0800, John McBride wrote:

> The only reason I've been posting is because my up2date throbber turned
> red last night and showed an "xmms-mp3" update. I ran up2date and it
> hung from the dependency problem. This seems wrong--apps shouldn't
> freeze and die this way, so I ran 'yum update' and saw the dependency
> failure. I figured this was the cause of the up2date hang.
>
> I'm sure whatever needs to be done will be handled by people smarter
> than me! I've been getting emails off list that this is hitting a lot of
> people so I think I'll shut up now and let the gurus take it from here.

The offending xmms-mp3 and nvidia packages have been removed meanwhile.
Everyone please note http://bugzilla.livna.org

[...]

The assumption that users who have enabled "testing" and "unstable"
repositories would be into _testing software_ and would also have enabled
Fedora Core Testing Updates, has been wrong.

So, currently, for the other users, who have the "Fedora Core Testing
Updates" enabled and use yum/up2date, the livna.org repositories may seem
broken, because e.g. the newer xmms-mp3 is unavailable, but the new xmms
is in "Testing Updates". To solve this situation, it would need a
corresponding testing updates repository at livna.org, which stays in sync
with Fedora Core Testing Updates. That means, *another* repository, which
would make the entire hierarchy of repositories and their
inter-dependencies ('unstable' may require 'testing' and 'stable',
'testing' may require 'stable', all may require the corresponding
repositories at fedora.us) more confusing.

It's an unfortunate situation which can only be solved with the help of
more contributors who would keep track of "Testing Updates" and what
dependencies may need to be rebuilt/created.