idle HD spin down

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Mon Feb 2 00:51:48 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----

Rick,

You mentioned earlier in this thread that the constant writing to the
disk was the system flushing dirty cache buffers.  Is this, perchance,
due to using the ext3 (journaled) file system.  If one changes to ext2
(non-journaled I believe) would the flushing still occur or is it from
some other source?

I've tried to get noflushd to work with the current  kernel
(2.4.22-1.2149.nptl) but apparently it won't work until possibly
2.4.23.something due to a bug in kupdated.

In my case I'd like to have the FC1 desktop machines spin down their
drives when they are not used (typically most of the night).

Kind regards,

Mike