Virtual Machine Apps

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Feb 2 20:52:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 19:42, ibnu at lacare.org wrote:
> We want to easily switch from one OS to another OS on the same machine
> without rebooting.

Well, with a VM system you obviously don't have to switch between
anything.  The one machine appears to be multiple physical machines to
the network.

> Our questions are:
> 1.  Does any one know any Virtual Machine Application out there that we can
> use (other than VMWare)?

If you mean free then Bochs.  It's in Fedora unstable.  It's a bit of a
pain to setup, somewhat slow, doesn't work very well with Windows, and
it appears to need X.  But it does work well with Linux guests and
should be acceptable for testing purposes.

> 2.  Does any one use VMWare for RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AND Fedora 1?
> VMWare does not list RHEL 3 and Fedora 1 as supported OS.

VMWare Workstation 4.0 works great with Fedora Core 1 both as the host
and guest system.  (With FC1 as the host you must "export CC=gcc32"
before running vmware-config.pl)  I can't imagine why RHEL3 wouldn't
work.  I've been using VMWare since version 2.0 and have not yet found a
Linux system where it won't run.  The price is a bit high for testing
(more than several real computers) but they do have a trial version.

I've setup VMWare systems with simultaneously running instances of
Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows on both VMWare GSX Server and VMWare
Workstation.  GSX Server costs a small fortune but its ideal if you want
to permanently run multiple operating systems on one fast machine.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/