OT: Questions about Gnome

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Mon Feb 2 22:35:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 18:20, Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have some questions about the Gnome desktop, and would like your feedback.
>
> I've been using KDE for about a year now, I chose it initially mostly
> because of Konqueror, and its' ability to split the window horizontally
> and vertically, and save "view profiles" which I find extremely useful.
>
> Every so often I check out Gnome, but the file manager seems overly
> simple for my needs, so I switch back.  I get the feeling that there
> must be more to Gnome than I can see on the surface...
>
> So my question is, Why do you use Gnome over other options? What are
> its' pros and cons? What do you love about it?

1) GNOME is simple, clean, and usually works "the way I expect", which
is the key to comfort with any interface.

2) GNOME is highly configurable in both behavior and appearance.  I far
prefer the way GNOME handles panels to KDE.

3) GNOME applications can be tightly integrated leading to a more
seamless environment.

4) GNOME is very flexible and modular.  Personally, I don't like
Metacity (the default GNOME window manager), so I replaced it with
XFWM4 (from XFCE).  I also use Konqueror instead of Nautilus most
of the time (of course this requires having a minimal amount of KDE
libraries installed).

On a related note, since I was so impressed with XFWM4, I decided to
give a full-blown XFCE desktop a try.  I've found it very lightweight
and very easy to get used to.  I may switch from GNOME to XFCE for a
time, but I'll probably end up switching back to GNOME.  I was also a
WindowMaker user for a long time, but the clean and simple GNOME
interface drew me back.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves