SSH Display Problem

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 3 06:39:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Mike Chepesky wrote:

> >Did you try 'ssh -X' - and made sure the display is set correctly?
> >something like:
> >
> >ssh -X -l login_name server_name
> >echo $DISPLAY #for eg: 'localhost:11.0'
> >xterm
>
> The issue I have with that is, I'm not sure what is *supposed* to be in
> $DISPLAY. For example, when running the commands above, I get, after the
> echo, " rees.math:60.0". rees is the server name to which I am connecting.
> Should this be, or should it be set to "localhost...."? How would I change
> it?

Ok - looks like sshd on 'rees' is configured with the option
'X11UseLocalhost no' - causing the display to be " rees.math:60.0"
instead of 'localhost:60.0'

I just tried this setting on my laptop - and couldn't get it working -
with the error:
I don't know enough about this case. I suspect xauth is not being set
correctly in this senario - perhaps an openssh bug?

Satish