dot allowed adduser/useradd

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 3 13:03:19 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Di, den 03.02.2004 schrieb WipeOut um 13:30:
>

>>Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>>For what reason should it be good to have dots in usernames to be
>>>allowed? Any real good reason?
>>>
>>>Dots are at least forbidden charactes in usernames and groupnames as
>>>chown will fail with such names.
>>>
>>>Alexander
>>>

>>My reason was to make it possible for a user with the email address
>>"first.last at domain.com", which is out company standard convention for
>>email addresses, to log into their mail box with "first.last".. That way
>>they don't get confused about their email address and user name (as
>>users often do).. These users do not log into the system shell as they
>>are only for mail..
>>
>>Is that a good enough reason?
>>
>>later..
>>

>Hi :)
>
>I do not think it is a valuable reason. People can use mail addresses in
>the form of "first.last at domain.tld" without need for dotted login names
>in the system. They are confused about login name being "flast" instead
>of "first.last"? How often do they have to refill their login data into
>mail programs? Users not able to fill in authentication data should not
>be allowed to send mail at all. ;/ It's fairly common to use "flast" for
>authentification and "first.last@" in mail addresses. You see my mail
>address? What do you think is my login name to the university mail
>system? :)
>
>Did you ever create a mailbox in cyrus-imapd with first.last as mailbox
>name?
>
>Alexander

ROTFL... I agree with you that if you can't login your shouldn't be
allowed email but that does not help the company does it.. :)

They log into their webmail wich is why they need to know they own name
and password..

I also think that if you can't re-install your own OS when it screws up
you shouldn't be allowed to use a PC but they still sell them by the
truckload to people who understand a cricket bat better than a
calculator.. ;)

Later..