ATA Raid

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Wed Feb 4 15:38:49 UTC 2004

Thank you Matthias & Alexander.

I find it difficult to trust "software" RAID from past experience on other
O/S platforms, and from the purely logical perspective. It may be better
than the Promise junk, but not as good as "real" RAID.

A true hardware based array only offers the O/S its controlled interface to
the array. i.e. One gadget that requires a driver to communicate requests
thru, but all the RAID logic happens via silicon that is not corruptible
from the O/S. There is no access to the arrays hardware parts like hde and
hdf as in my example. Software RAID is corruptible by definition.

To those users of other on mobo RAID chip sets - Does the O/S see the
underlying hdX devices that the array is utilizing? I'm hoping that a real
RAID chipset mobo exists so I don't have to fork over lots of $$$ for a
RAIDCORE, 3WARE, or ADAPTEC controller.

Bill Gradwohl
YCC
(817) 224-9400 x211