Remote Access XDMCP/VNC

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 4 18:01:21 UTC 2004

Hey All,

	I've been trying to set up xdmcp/gdm over vnc for about a week now.  I
think that its a great method for remote access.  However, I seem to
have hit a snag.  Ideally what should happen is that when you start a
vnc session, gdm will load up and allow you to log in.  It doesn't seem
to be working though.  I have already configured xdmcp to accept remote
connections and set up gdm with remote greeter stuff and I also setup an
xinetd script to run Xnvc as follows:

service vnc-1024x768
{
  disable = no
  socket_type = stream
  protocol    = udp
  wait        = no
  user        = nobody
  server      = /usr/bin/Xvnc
  server_args = :1 -inetd -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24
-once -fp unix/:7100
}

Anyone have any ideas as to whats going on? Also any other ideas on how
to do remote logins, aside from X forwarding?

Thanks in advance,
Jack