Good Yum Archives

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Feb 4 21:28:20 UTC 2004

At 15:12 2/4/2004, Bevan wrote:
>Wayne Johnson wrote:
>
>>Clamav aside, what are good sites to include in my yum.conf file?  The
>>ones I've seen are all outside the US.  Anything local?  What are the
>>must have sites?
>
>Most of the 'unofficial alternate repository' sites are outside of the US
>in order to avoid certain annoying laws and regulations that limit things
>like MP3 support.

The people who own the MP3 patent have chosen to charge royalties for it,
and many (most?) countries have patent and intellectual property laws that
allow for the enforcement of such decisions. If you disagree with their
decision, take it up with them; if you disagree with the laws, work to have
them changed.

Until and unless that happens, though, for xmms or other GPL players to
include MP3 support out-of-the-box would be illegal, and I thank them and
Red Hat for behaving honorably and lawfully instead of finding a way around
the issue.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com