which file manager you use?

Mike Vanecek fedora_list at mm-vanecek.cc
Thu Feb 5 16:46:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:04:54 -0500, Lorenzo Prince wrote
> I use Midnight Commander.  This is my personal preference because it
> works quite affectively in text mode as well as in a terminal.  And
> when running in a terminal, it already configured out of the box to
> run some x-windows applications, and the rest are configurable.  The
> cool thing is that the way it's originally configured, it knows when
> it's running in a terminal and when it's just running on the
> console.  It's versatility alone makes it my choice.

I start mc using a Gnome panel laucher with

gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --geometry 151x48+40+30 -t "admin's mc" -e mc

which works.

I would like to do the same thing from a non-root account, but do a su - <
password before starting mc so that mc has root capability. The only way I
have found to do that is to start a gnome terminal first with

gnome-terminal --geometry 122x32+10+30 --window-with-profile=root2

where root2 has a su - (have to manually enter in the password). I then start
mc from that root terminal with

gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --geometry 151x48+40+30 -t "root's mc" -e mc &

This works, but seem rather circular.

Question, is there an easier way a non-root Gnome panel launcher start mc with
 a root shell?