Hello There...

Adam Cooper adam.cooper at port.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 12:06:50 UTC 2004

Hi there

I'm a new user of Fedora. I've had a fiddle in the past with various
distros (Debian, Mandrake, Knoppix) but Fedora is by far the easiest to
use. You should consider me an (almost) complete newb.

Over the last day or so I've figure out how to mount an NTFS partition
for all users and install and update using a new yum config file. I'm
generally getting along fine.

I have a few questions though.

1) Fedora comes with Mozilla (Now upgraded to 1.6) and Ximian mail. I
want to be able to click a mailto link in Mozilla and a window to open
up in Ximian. i.e. set the default mail app. I can't however find any
option to do that (at least within Mozilla). I've changed the default
mail app in the preferred applications utility and in the file types and
applications utility. What else do I need to change to get it to work?

2) I've an on-board sound card and graphics card (it's an Intel desktop
810 job) and it's all recognised fine. However, in Tuxracer there is
graphical corruption happening (textures being replaced with random
ones). Also, this same corruption seems to occur in UT2003 (Now thats a
pain to install). Is it a configuration error and how do I fix it?

3) This is a side note rather then anything else. Is it possible to
remove Mozilla completely and replace it with Firebird. If i try to via
the package management tool it tells me it has a dependancy with
libxpcom.so in OpenOffice which it can't find and it won't do anything
unless it is installed. How can I go about un-installing it?

Thanks for any help given

Adam Cooper