Funny thing happened on the way to KDE 3.2.....

HD heterodox at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 13:30:59 UTC 2004

I know there are a lot of KDE threads at the moment but I think my
tale is a little different. I installed KDE 3.2 without any *major*
problems last night and at the moment everything seems to be working
fine. I have no real complaints, since I fixed my initial small....
but odd .... difficulty.

After installing KDE 3.2 and restarting my desktop I noticed right
away that something was very strange. All the words on the desktop
seemed to be in a different language... certainly a different
alphabet. At first I thought I had done something wrong with my
installation and inadvertently changed my language,
though I couldn't think how since I had only installed rpms.

It was very difficult to tell since the font was so small but it
looked like it was all in Kanji characters, and when I looked more
closely I saw the "Home" did indeed have four characters. So, poking
around on the icons half blindly, I found my way to the control center
and the fonts area. I changed all the fonts to Ariel and much to my
relief the desktop was readable again.

I don't know why it occurred. But I thought I would share my story in
case the same thing happens to someone else.

--
HD

Tipping my hat to Fedora.