Dumb Newbie

Jwp live4bacon at optonline.net
Sat Feb 7 20:19:40 UTC 2004

Good day,

Please take It easy on me as I only have about 100 hours of hand on
experience with Linux.

I have several issues and a few general Fedora Questions for all the experts
out there.

First of all last weekend I turned my old 700mhz Athalon machine into a
Linux box running Fedora core 1.

Install and set-up was a breeze.  I even got the Apache server and Proftpd
installed and running with minimal effort.  (I did however attempt an
install of Pureftp and the Gui front end (I forget the name now) which did
not go all that great, once I installed the gui I was unable to find out how
to launch it?? But now that I have Proftpd up and running I would like to
remove Pureftpd and the gui from my system, how would I do this?

Now the mail server was a different beast altogether and took the better
part of this morning and it is still not running correctly.  Initially with
the help of a couple of Tutorials and several articles I got Postfix
installed and {# postfix start} went off without a hitch, however I was not
able to get a response from {# telnet localhost 25}.  And any e-mail sent to
usr at mydomain.com came back rejected reason {illegal host / domain found}

A couple hours later and I finally managed to get a response from the telnet
connection both through {# telnet localhost 25} as well as { telnet LAN IP
25} from another machine on my home network.  However when I tried {telnet
mydomain.com 25} from another machine on the network I received a connection
refused.  Please excuse my ignorance but, is this working as it should?
Refusing outside access to my smtp server or is this an indication that my
ISP is filtering traffic to port 25?  Also now when I send mail to
usr at mydomain.com it doesn't get returned to the sender but it also hasn't
shown up  in the usr inbox either?   Is this a sign that my ISP is working
against me?   Do you all know of a way I can tell if my ISP is the problem?

If so can I set up the MX record to send mail to port other than 25 say
10001 and then forward port 10001 through my router to port 25 on the linux
box?

Another one when I shut down Fedora and it runs down all the shutdown
procedures they all show [OK] except:

Shutting down system mouse services (something to that effect)
....[FAILED]

IS this something I need to be concerned about?

If you made it this far thanks for your time and consideration,

If you do care to help me out on this one please bear in mind that I may not
understand you as I am not quite fluent in Linux yet 8^)

Thanks,

JP