Dumb Newbie

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Feb 7 20:37:08 UTC 2004

Jwp wrote:

>Install and set-up was a breeze.  I even got the Apache server and Proftpd
>installed and running with minimal effort.  (I did however attempt an
>install of Pureftp and the Gui front end (I forget the name now) which did
>not go all that great, once I installed the gui I was unable to find out how
>to launch it?? But now that I have Proftpd up and running I would like to
>remove Pureftpd and the gui from my system, how would I do this?

if you installed Pureftpd and gui using rpm packages , it's only a
matter of running rpm -e packagename .

>A couple hours later and I finally managed to get a response from the telnet
>connection both through {# telnet localhost 25} as well as { telnet LAN IP
>25} from another machine on my home network.  However when I tried {telnet
>mydomain.com 25} from another machine on the network I received a connection
>refused.  Please excuse my ignorance but, is this working as it should?
>Refusing outside access to my smtp server or is this an indication that my
>ISP is filtering traffic to port 25?  Also now when I send mail to
>usr at mydomain.com it doesn't get returned to the sender but it also hasn't
>shown up  in the usr inbox either?   Is this a sign that my ISP is working
>against me?   Do you all know of a way I can tell if my ISP is the problem?
>
>If so can I set up the MX record to send mail to port other than 25 say
>10001 and then forward port 10001 through my router to port 25 on the linux
>box?

First , you have to ensure that mydomain.com is pointing to the machine
running postfix. If it does , and a telnet mydomain.com 25 fails ,
probably your ISP is blocking you. If telnet LAN IP 25 works , it really
is the ISP.. You can try to convince them to open port 25 , but it's
very though...

>Another one when I shut down Fedora and it runs down all the shutdown
>procedures they all show [OK] except:

>Shutting down system mouse services (something to that effect)
>....[FAILED]

>IS this something I need to be concerned about?

Probably the same that happens here with me: gpm fails to start.. then ,
when you try to stop it during shutdown, it fails to stop (because it
wasn't running at all)... When booting , keep an eye on the service
starting (choose to see the details during boot) and probably you'll see
gpm failing to start...

--
Pedro Macedo