RPM package for RH Linux 6.1 vs FC1 {Scanned}

Art Heimsoth doglover at artheimsoth.com
Sat Feb 7 21:51:43 UTC 2004

In <40255849.6040600 at swbell.net>, on 02/07/04
   at 03:27 PM, Randy Kelsoe <randykel at swbell.net> said:

>Art Heimsoth wrote:
>> I am trying to get the Fedora Core 1 running on my Dell GX1 system - all
>> tried so far appears okay except no sound.  Dell has a driver RPM package
>> that is indicated to be for RedHat Linux 6.1 - but no sources that I can
>> find.  Is it possible to install that on my FC1 system - if so exactly
>> how?  The sound is integrated in the motherboard as Creative Labs Sound
>> Blaster Live! 512V.  In general, do the RPM packages need to match the
>> specific release of the system - in my case, match FC1?  Thanks,
>>
>Whether or not a package will run depends on what is in the package and
>what was used to compile it. It's probably for a 2.2 kernel, so in this
>case, I would say you would be lucky if it works. Have you tried to run
>'redhat-config-soundcard'? If that does not work, you should try and load
>the alsa drivers and try those.

Okay, I am a real novice at Linux, so beginner's
directions/help/suggestions would be most welcome.  How do I tell what is
in the package or what was used to compile it?  Altho I did not try it,
since the date of the update on Dell's site is fairly old, I suspected it
would not work.  But then, how do I also select the alsa drivers?  If I
run 'redhat-config-soundcard' it comes back with "No sound cards were
detected".  If I run the Hardware Browser, it lists CS4235B for the Game,
MPU, and WSS/SB and driver ad1848 for the WSS/SB and driver cs4232 for the
Game and MPU devices.  In Unknown Devices, there is an entry for CS4236B:
Ctrl and driver ns558 for it.  I don't know what it is telling me, or what
my next step should be.  Pointing me to a HowTo or several or other
documentation would also be appreciated.  Thanks,

Art Heimsoth - doglover at artheimsoth.com
  http://www.artheimsoth.com -- The Doglover's home page
      From Central Missouri in the Ozarks