User Linux

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Feb 9 01:35:50 UTC 2004

At 21:00 2/7/2004, Joe Klemmer wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 01:26, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>
> > Look at codeweavers by the time you have bought codeweavers crossover
> > office you might as well go and buy windows to run your windows program
> > it cost the same and at least with windows theres no debugging involved
> > in making the thing work.
>
>         You don't need to run the crossover products unless you really want
>to.  I have not had to use them for anything I do, work or personal,
>even though I bought them.  They aren't necessary.  They're nice, but
>not necessary.

And they're a fool's argument in the way Chadley has used it. "Windows is
better than Linux because it runs Windows software better." Now, call me
simplistic, but that sounds moronic. O-F C-O-U-R-S-E Windows is going to be
better at running Windows software! However, note that Linux is /capable/
of running some Windows software pretty well on its own. How much Linux
software can Windows run on its own?

This is only an argument to say that the market leader (and/or monopoly
player) has an advantage because someone out there chose to write software
you need only for that one operating system. To reuse an old cliché, that's
like saying McDonald's makes the best food in the world because they sell
so much of it.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com