Unreal Engine won't boot

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Mon Feb 9 21:54:24 UTC 2004

Nicholas Evans wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Yesterday I installed Unreal2k3 on my fedora box, and Americas Army
> (Both use same engine) and got a strange error. I'm using the latest
> NVIDIA drivers
> (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-5336.htm), and
> running with a geforce fx 5200. I get the same error in both logs -
>
> Critical: Couldn't set video mode: Counldn't find matching glx visual.
>
> I had Unreal running under RedHat a few months ago.
>
> Any pointers? Anyone had this problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

I don't have any hints to figure out what is not working right but I can
say that I have it working with a FX5200 128M PCI card on FC1 with the
same Nvidia driver so there is hope !

I did the install doing the --add-this-kernel (something like that
anyway) option that produces a custom.run file then ran the custom one.
No  setting cc=gcc32.

It all runs with no problems (other than lack of  go-power :-).  I lust
for a machine with enough processing and graphics go-power that I could
run UT2003 with all the graphics options maxed and not experience any
lag.  But that's not something that FC can solve ;-)

Kind regards,

Mike