User Linux

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Feb 10 04:12:13 UTC 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 08:49 pm, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> You should really consider Fedora, too.  It's a straight upgrade
> with no need to wipe the system and rebuild, like you would with
> Knoppix (or any other distro).

I've been considering Fedora since October.

Here are some points that have kept me from installing it; perhaps these
points are refutable.  If so PLEASE refute them for me; I've used RHL
for at least six years and I'm not going to leave it without a fight;
that's why I'm posting here and asking these questions and making these
points.

1) the problems I've seen reported to this list (I admit they seem to be
waning)

2) I prefer a solution designed around KDE; for example on RHL 9,
konqueror is almost unusable because of font problems, default
problems, etc., yet on Knoppix it looks and works every bit as well as
Mozilla.

3) I prefer a solution that does what I generally do right out of the
box.  The only MSW system here is a server running A1 monitor and the
Mailtraq mail server, so I don't have the options of listening to MP3s,
for example, on Windows, nor do I want to have to continually install
non-supported "stuff"to do what I want to do.

4) I don't like the continuous upgrade cycle forced on me.

5) Sometimes RH is on a bleeding edge I don't want to be on; for example
our webservers are still running RHL 7.3 because we're not happy with
Apache 2.x yet.

As I wrote above, I am looking for good refutations <smile>!

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation