Settings for /etc/yum.conf

Thomas Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 10 13:46:24 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Shorie <jshorie at medinaco.org>
Sent: Feb 10, 2004 8:20 AM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Settings for /etc/yum.conf

I am looking for some good repositories for keeping fedora boxes up to date
using yum.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  Here is my current yum.conf:

<yum.conf>
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

For [base] and [updates-released], you probably want to add a couple mirrors that are closer to you (and faster), and move the Redhat servers to the end of the list. You'll get better speeds and less problems that way. Add a line "failovermethod=priority" to the end of these 2 sections, and yum will check the first server, then move down the list if it has problems. Look at "man yum.conf" for more details.