Yum is great, but do you trust them?

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Tue Feb 10 19:30:05 UTC 2004

It is hoped that the mirrors are only copies! They could be forged, altered, or
otherwise changed. Trusting a mirror is like trusting a friend's friend without
actually knowing either friend to start with. Trust is better served with things
that can't be proved easily (like the universe imploding upon itself tomorrow).
And that is more along the lines of hope anyway. :-)
Not to say that mirrors shouldn't be used, just something to think about.

Cheers,
Harry

Quoting WipeOut <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net>:

*>
*> The mirrors are copys of the origian repository so I dontsee any reason
*> not to trust the mirror any less than the original repository..
*>
*> As for using FC on servers, I am in the process of doing just that, I
*> went off and tried Gentoo, Debian and a number of other distros when RH
*> said there would be no more RHL but I cam back to Fedora because it is
*> still and awesome OS like RHL before it.. And time will only tell what
*> the future versions have to offer..
*>
*> Also with projects like Fedora Legacy you will be able to run FC1 on
*> your server for a reasonable length of time..
*>
*> Later..
*>
*>